Lot of people in and around I meet do not know what it means to be a Notary Public and what are my duties and responsibilities and this is the reason for me to do a blog.
The common answer I receive is as a notary you stamp my documents, correct? No one knows why these documents actually need a notaries approval or what is involved in the process of actual notarizing a document. This article will hopefully answer some of the questions and explain my job as a Notary Public in the Cayman Islands.
To answer these questions you first need to know What is a Notary Public? You can visit one of the recent articles that I wrote explaining What is a Notary Public in the Cayman Islands.
The next question is what roles and duties do a notary public in the Cayman Islands perform:
- Verifying the identity of the signer who appears before me
- Ensure that the signer is signing the document freely & willingly
- Witness the signature of the signing party
- Administer an oath to the signer and any additional parties as and when required
- Verify the identity of the signer with the help of a governement issues ID
- Sign the document, stamp and seal it
- Record the details of the notary in the notary journal
I do hope this explains the roles & responsibilities of a notary in the Cayman Islands. If you need a notary public to ever notarize any of your documents you can book an appointment with a Cayman Islands Notary here.